Saturday, November 19, 2011

Costumes, Parties, and Friends... Oh my!

So this may be a bit confusing because I already made a post about opening night, but this past Wednesday was the "Official" Opening Night of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular's 2011 Season! Hooray. The night started out a bit rainy, but once inside the music hall all was well.
I was so excited to start out the night with a PR in the Roxy Suite where a group of us got the chance to meet and greet children and board members of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, a wonderful non-profit group that helps kids in need. It was such a fun event to be a part of. 15 of the kids had the chance to perform on the Radio City Stage with Darryl McDaniels of Run DMC before the show and they were so thrilled.
The event ended right as the show was starting down stairs, so I jumped out of my costume, into a purple dress, gobbled down some pasta, and headed to my seat to watch the Gold Cast do their thing! What an awesome performance. It was really fun being a part of the audience and get to take in the show from a different perspective. I can't believe that I'm actually a Radio City Rockette. It still hits me everyday when I walk to work. The beautiful Kersten Todey was in town to celebrate the occasion and what a fun night we had!
Here's the two Blue Cast newbies with our amazing dance captain in the center. What an amazing experience it has been so far, and mostly because we have had such wonderful guidance. A true inspiration and leader.
Here are some of the costumes in the show. This is the New York at Christmas dress and jacket. Darling if I do say so myself. And brand new this year!
My very favorite number in the show is towards the end and is called "Shine." I still have to try and keep my composure every single time this song starts! It makes me so emotional, 1. because the meaning behind the message is amazing, 2. this number really makes me feel like a true rockette, and 3. a part of the dance was the combo used in the audition! This photo really doesn't do the costume justice, but at least you can get a sense of what it's like. The number opens with all 36 Rockettes on a huge, glittering staircase, which explains the true reason I have to keep from tearing up because about 3 eight-counts in I have to walk down some stairs. Really I only have to walk down three, but trust me tears do not help the situation.
Well I am off to bed. Tucking in early for another 10am show tomorrow and couldn't be more excited to wake up and put on a reindeer outfit! I will pinch myself, yet again :)

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, LOVE the jacket! I still can't really believe you're a Rockette, either!

    YOU ROCK! So glad to hear about how much you're loving it. Miss you like crazy, lady! xoxo

    ReplyDelete